Sunday, February 14, 2016

The miniaturist of the wild wild West

What a challenge! I am going to attempt to convey what I see in the work of the Miniaturist. Here I am singling out one person. It could be several. It could be an " art style". I don't know. But I am naming one for the sake of the story. What led me to look at those stones so closely? I can't remember the exact time nor how it happened. It became like a game. Some people love to do Sudoku or crosswords or other games. I have loved to find the little faces. I have loved to find the way a fossil, a hole or a crest was use to create a profile. Coupled with that love and interest, was the frustration of looking at something that " does not make sense" and of sharing that with very few people. His/her style is creative. Using certain peculiarities of the stones and to extract tiny faces, " embriquees les unes dans les autres". Like a chain of faces unfolding. A story unfolding? or a story that was meant to be told? When I talk about a miniaturist, his work or play is very small.I am talking about 1, 2/12 of an inch.

No comments:

Post a Comment