Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Many surprises and many questions




The surprise in Jean-Paul was a rock with a nose and an eye and a mouth perfectly set.




Then it was about seeing many rocks with a human profile like this one above. Before that, it was seeing turtles, buffalos, sheep, horses, dogs, mice, bears, fish, lots of birds. I thought: "Fair enough. Animals. Nature. I don't see any bears nor fish around here, right now, but it could have been, some time ago. Who knows? Some people who stayed here on this land, this is what they saw and carved in rocks..."




Then, with the human profiles, I thought: " This is going to be very interesting ! We are going to see the portraits of the people who did those images, we'll have an idea of what they looked like!"




Well, this was not to be the simple thread of a simple story. The noses were not just Indian noses. Some were white, some black, some mayan looking noses and who knows what else!




Time to let go of all assumptions!




I decided that it would be of interest to share photos of them on a blog and see if some knowledgeable people, out there, would recognise them and know who they were.




So here it is, this blog. With many wonders and many questions.

2 comments:

  1. I too am seeing animals and nature here in Southeast Iowa. I have 100's of stone tools some with more than 9 images on 1 tool. These people were amazingly talented and had very complex minds to see all art they created on gifts from Mother Nature. I call them magic. And a question, some of these tools have images of dinosaurs....hmmmm.....created from viewing other drawings or how the heck old are these pieces I've found. On the streets and alleys, yes that's the truth, and bluffs of the Mississippi River. I am blessed to have found such magic....left there for thousands of years for me to find and enjoy and imagine them holding that very piece and creating a masterpiece. Magic. Glad to have found this site. thanks, would love someone elses opinion on the tons of images I have collected thus far. Will photo graph and share if interested. Only have a webcam and cell phone camera but ....ma_thorn@hotmail.com, Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melissa,
    Thanks for posting a comment.
    I understand what those stones do to you! and that one feels like sharing the images.
    I have also seen tools with several images on them, I haven't seen dinosaurs but animals or shapes I didn't recognize.
    Yes, you can send some pictures I can post. You can send them also to Kenneth Johnston at .
    As far as giving you an opinion, I am in the same space as you are and cannot be of much help in that.
    My question is : did you observe some themes? are they some faces and what do they look like?
    Best to you!

    ReplyDelete